Seller Dashboard Home is my latest project in Tokopedia, and this is one of the biggest project we had for our team in Merchant side. Seller Dashboard Home is a vital part in seller’s journey in order to helping seller managing day to day operations and as communication platform between Tokopedia to Sellers.
According to research, we found that Tokopedia sellers can’t optimize seller dashboard . Given the facts that:
1. Seller dashboard home performance is very low, below 10% active sellers visit the page and on daily average, the active sellers only visit 1-2 times and spend 6 minutes in a day.
2. Merchant has very low intention due to no clear value proposition to visit the dashboards.
3. Unclear structure from few key sections of the Homepage.
And also we found problem from our development team usually need more time and effort in every improvement, because they always build new components that can not be reusable.
As a result, we came up with seller dashboard home: The one-stop platform solution for Merchant to perform end-to-end activities from starting to growing their business. But before we go any further, we make an initial approach by creating the fundamental user needs in seller dashboard home which is for helping seller manage day to day operations. And create design components guideline to prepare the ultimate vision .
Understanding User and Needs
We classified sellers into 2 segments. The first segmentation based on seller membership, such as: Regular Merchant, Power Merchant, and Official Store. And other segmentation based on seller revenue (TPV).
Form the analytics we found that type of membership has no significant difference of insight. And the hypotheses are the lower tier, the more time will be spent on shop setting and add product, lower tier more focus on how to get transaction and attract buyer. and the higher tier, the more time will be spent on order, pusat resolusi, and chat,higher tier more focus on how to minimize complaints & improve transaction quality.
*) Some of user data can not be show here, because of confidential information
Workshop and Survey
Then we conducted a workshop with relevant stakeholders including products and businesses from Regular, Power Merchants and Official Stores. Collecting all seller points of view by used this pattern:
I need to [Seller’s needs] because [Insight / data]
Connecting the dots using affinity diagram. We created an affinity map as a group to identify themes from our hypothesis.
After collecting hypotheses, then we conduct a survey to the sellers. We choose active seller segmentation by TPV as our target audience in Indonesia. We used survey method to 1) help us narrow down our target user group and 2) quickly learn about the most important user needs and the pain points seller when selling and manage day to day operations.
Based on the workshop & survey results, we found the seller’s needs and pain points can be resolved on the seller’s dashboard home.
• Too overwhelming with current Home Architecture Information
• Low upload products rate
• Need 9 days for first transaction
• Not enough information given what growing merchants needs
• Low response rate & slow response time for them to engage with buyer
• Don’t have clear direction on how to maintain customer satisfaction
• Lack of basic information
• Unclear campaign insight
• No clear information to expand their shop
Ultimate Seller Home Vision
We realize that the seller’s needs are very different compare with others, even in the future it will grow. to facilitate them, so we have an ultimate vision to build a personalized dashboard to answer all the sellers need. But to lead that vision, we need a lot of data to know what really matters for our seller by building a platform that can be customized. So, from that we can track and learn the seller behaviour.
Starting with the Basic
1. Information is clearly delivered to the seller : what aspect effect on their shop and product quality also reward and penalty
2. Help them with daily tasks seamlessly
3. Help them to monitoring their current sales performance
4. Give support and insight on maintaining sales
5. Build scalable design to help development team to do least effort in every improvement
We conduct competitive analysis with the other competitors. The process aim to understanding who the competitors are, their strategy, the strengths and weaknesses of their products in comparison to ours so as to improve our design solutions.
This is only the highlight of comparison result
At the ideation stage, we list all seller features and we group them by seller’s task. We use this method for discovering how people understand and categorize the information. We try to think as a seller, with the following steps :
• find out how our sellers expect to see the information grouped by their basic daily task
• discover and compare how sellers understand different concepts or ideas
• get people to rank or arrange items based on set criteria
The results is a priority matrix and list of the most important tasks displayed on the homepage based on seller survey insight and analytics.
Design Solution: Seller Home Hierarchy of Needs
Here is the seller’s basic needs which are divided into 4 main pillars. Including: daily activities, performance monitoring, growing business, and support education. This basic need become a foundation to define what informations in the seller home.
Working together in a sprint, together we make ideations, validating ideas and solving big challenges through prototyping and testing ideas with customers. The participants including: product, business, and tech team.
1. Breaking down into widgets to be able to provide high relevant to merchant, Homepage has to be broken down into multiple widgets. This concept aims to prepare customization seller home concept : order and content of each component then can be adjusted to fit the current state of the merchants. Understanding the stages and action required by the merchant, they will be presented most relevant information depends on the situation.
2. Breaking down Widgets then further broken into components, a widget can consist of one or multiple components that can enhance scalability and flexibility for further development while at the same time maintaining consistent looks and feels in seller dashboard.
3. Providing guiding principles, as a platform, Dashboard will provide standardization that any other products/services will have to comply. This includes user experience as well as reliability requirements. The products/services offered to merchants through dashboard has also consider the life cycle of the merchant. Dashboard Home will be the gatekeeper to these incoming new integration from other respective team/feature in the future.
Wireframe and Prototype
The design sprint result implemented in the wireframe, and do several iterations to answer the seller’s needs.
Widget guideline created to build a clear principles according to user needs, standardise usage, maintain consistency and experience. And also help the scalability for future improvement. Following is a guideline that we made for the further improvement.
High Fidelity Design
Important daily tasks with just one click action
This section emphasized activities that become daily activities and directly impact the shop’s performance score. The shop’s performance score is a value that seller must maintain because it reflected to their credibility.
Quick summary on sales performance
This section showed the related metrics in terms of how seller getting revenue. Starting from the product view, number of product sold until number of successful transactions.
Updated shop performance to monitoring shop
Shop performance is a monitored to maintain the seller performance after do their daily activities. The seller can immediately find out the dropped value and suggestions for improve.
Communication between Tokopedia to Seller
Centralized communication around seller education, feature updates, seller promos, and other to support seller activity.
After 1 month desktop launch, we always monitoring the performance. Surprisingly, this early stage seller home dashboard has shown better performance. We focus on retention and engagement metrics, showing that the number of DAU (Daily Active Users) in January increase double from 10% to 25% and the average CTR (Number of clicks) for each widget is more than 50% and especially for orders it reaches 90%. From here we know that, the initial stage results were very good and it was proven that the basic needs were very helpful for our sellers.
And after several months later (on May 2020) , finally the mobile app launch! how the result? —to be continue–
A never end project
This is a project that has given me my tools for communicate with stakeholders whose backgrounds are very different from me. The interview muscles that I trained there have been helping me to deliver every ideas better than before.
Tapping into how companies support research has also become an ongoing project of my passion, especially when the challenge involves complex organizational structures and multiple audiences.
Also from this project I understand that the basic needs must be truly defined for the first foundation before jumping to the solutions. Because solutions can come with many choices, but the biggest mistake is when we solve the wrong problem(it’s too late).
I excited to talk with passionate people like you. So, let’s build something together or just say hello to me. I’d love to reply, share & gather insights with you. 🤟
© 2019 Ivana Elisa All Rights Reserved